The Party of the Century
The Rotary Club of Fort Worth celebrated The Party of the Century celebrating our100th Anniversary on February 22, 2013. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Rotary Children’s Fund and the Endowment Fund of the Rotary Club of Fort Worth.
In 1913, Fort Worth was still a young, aggressive and competitive town not far removed from the frontier. J.E. Mitchell of the Mitchell-Greer Jewelry Co and Bismark Heyer of Leyhe Piano Co. looked ahead and saw that the city needed civilizing influences to become great. They liked what Paul Harris, the Chicago lawyer who founded eight years earlier, the very first Rotary Club, which “rotated” from office to office, with the motto of “Service Above Self;”
On February 25, 1913, Mitchell, Heyer and ten other businessmen met at the brand-new Westbrook Hotel for what was eventually chartered as the 75th Rotary Club in the nation;
In 1916, the Rotary Club purchased property at W. 7th & Summit for $1,000 for what was Fort Worth’s first city park and remained there until the property was sold after WWII;
The new Rotary Park will be part of the Trinity River Vision located along Forest Park Boulevard just south of the Lancaster Avenue Bridge.
The Rotary Children’s Fund was launched in 1960 to better serve the children of Fort Worth and has donated over $958,562 to improve the lives of tens of thousands of children.
The Endowment Fund of the Rotary Club of Fort Worth was launched in 1982 to serve the citizens of Fort Worth and has donated over $513,529 to improve the lives of those in our community.
The Party of the Century celebrated this milestone occasion at the beautiful Renaissance Worthington Hotel
The black tie event included cocktails with a look at Rotary past, a fabulous meal and performance, and a post-performance reception with champagne, cake and a look at Rotary’s future.